Posts Tagged ‘Little Mosque on the Prairie’
Theatre director/producer Darren Stewart-Jones sits down with Canadian star of stage and screen, Sheila McCarthy, for an intimate conversation with the actress about her life and career.
From her breakthrough, award-winning role in the film I’ve Heard The Mermaids Singing to her recent six season run as Sarah on television’s Little Mosque On The Prairie, Sheila McCarthy continues to delight audiences with her unique character portrayals.
UPDATE:The winners of the blog’s first Little Mosque on the Prairie contest are readers, Batulbanu and Mvhelene! Congrats to you both and thank you to all of our valued readers who participated!
Participation awards will also be sent to some contestants!
This update has been featured through the blog’s social media platforms as well
Welcome to Abbas Karimjee’s Weblog’s first Little Mosque on the Prairie contest!
Readers have until 9:00am eastern standard time on Friday, January 24 to answer all of the questions below. The questions are related to the show’s first two seasons.Submit your response in the comments section.
Those readers who answer all questions correctly, will be entered into a draw for a chance to win an autographed photo of Aliza Vellani [Layla] or Manoj Sood [Baber].A total of 8 prizes will be awarded for this contest.
Winners will be announced by Monday ,January 27 and will be contacted by e-mail.
1. In the series premiere, which character gets arrested at an airport for comments which are mistaken as declaration of intent to commit a terrorist act?
2. Which character said the following quote-“Wine, gums, root beer, western traps designed to teach Muslims to drink Alcohol”.
3. Which character enters Mercy Anglican in the series premiere and is shocked to see the Muslim congregation praying inside the building?
4. In the second episode of the show’s first season, a debate takes place at Mercy mosque about whether or not a barrier should be installed between the men and women of the congregation.Which female character wanted the barrier?
5. In the first season episode entitled “The Open House” , which character’s negligence causes an electrical explosion which requires the members and Christian guests of Mercy Mosque to evacuate the premises?
6. In the episode ”The Open House”, what does the Mayor want to be handed out to all of the guests as a condition for her attending the event?
7. In the first season, Marlon briefly converts to Islam and takes a extreme approach in practicing the religion. As a way to make him change his faith, what are four un-islamic things which Yasser, Sarah, Fatema, Rayyan and Baber do in front of him?
8. In the show’s first season, Mother Hammoudi arrives to Yasser and Sarah’s house asking Yasser to do something which really upsets Sarah .What did Mother Hammoudi ask of Yasser and why?
9. In the show’s first season, Rayyan develops a petition to get a female swimming instructor for the Muslim women after Fatima has an injury which requires her to take swimming lessons. Which character is specifically avoiding signing the petition for a personal gain and what is that personal gain?
10. What is the name of the firefighter who shows a strong ,romantic interest towards Rayyan in the show’s first season ?
11. In the second season episode, “ No fly list”, Baber claims that he is on the no fly list and is accompanied to the American consulate by two other characters to clear his name.Who are the two characters who accompany Baber and what is the real reason why Baber has been unable to fly?
12. In the second season episode entitled ”Jihad on Ice”, which four Muslim characters initially participate in a curling team?
13. In the second season episode entitled “Jihad on Ice”, Sarah discovers an Islamic tradition which requires Yasser to pay for her material needs. When he must follow this rule, how does Yasser trick Sarah into making her think she is actually owning as many clothes as she thinks she is?
14. In the second season episode, “Welcome To Mercy”Sarah assumes the role of acting mayor and is responsible for creating a new sign after the old one is destroyed in an accident.The new sign contains the phrase welcome in many different languages, but there is something wrong with it. What is wrong with the sign?
15. In season 2 Layla develops a crush which leads Amaar and Rayyan to believe that he is the object of her attraction. Although they are mistaken, what is the name of the person who Layla actually did have a crush on and how did Baber react when he discovered this?
16. In the show’s second season, Sarah participates in a charity talent show:
a] What talent does she showcase?
b] Baber initially objects to her participation until Layla makes a discovery which makes him to change his attitude about Sarah’s behaviour. Why is Baber against it and what exactly does Layla discover?
17. In the show’s second season, Fatema aspires to obtain her Canadian citizenship and receives help from two characters on the show to study for her testing. Who are the two characters who help her study?!
18. In the second season episode entitled “Lucky Day”, Sarah wins a lottery of $5000 and receives guidance from Rayyan and Amaar .After thinking about it , how she does she spend the money?
19 . Which character said the following :”See,I was never really good with rules, honey. When I was in school I always left my hall pass in the bathroom”.
20. In the episode entitled “Islam on Tap”, JJ discovers Rayyan’s past experience with dating as a teenager and become jealous about this. As a way of expressing his jealousy what activity does he make Rayyan participate in and why?
We are getting a great response so please make your ticket purchases online to avoid line ups and dissapointment due to limited seats.. On Sunday Febuary 2nd at the Lakeshore Convention Centre, 806 Southdown Road, Mississauga, ON. http://www.lakeshorecc.ca
Prices: (Lunch – Coffee/Tea Included in Price)
12:00 – Registration – Dhur Prayer
1:00 – Introduction to Event (MC & Imam)
1:15 to 3:00 – Rotations & Introductions
3:00 – Lunch & Asr
3:45 to 5:30 – Introductions to candidates & opportunities to meet interested parties with coordinators
5:30 PM – Conclusion
To Purchase Your Tickets Online, please visit the following website: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/jan-2014-marriage-networking-event-tickets-10082921289
Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1442751535936721/
Ticket Hotline: 647-786-7244
Office: 905.568.5222 or Email email@example.com
Little Mosque on the Prairie viewers are highly encouraged to show their support for actress,Arlene Duncan [ Fatema Dinssah] who is currently in the running for the Broadway World award for Best Leading Actress in a Musical.The actress is in the run for the award as a result of her work on the Tony Award winning musical, Caroline of Change,which made its debut last January.
In order to vote for Arlene, please click on the link below and follow the prompts to proceed through the voting process.
Duncan discussed her involvement on the musical in an interview with the blog in April 2012.Specifically, she gave details on the premise.Read through the excerpt from the interview below and for the complete interview, visit http://abbaskarimjeeweblog.com/2012/04/02/little-mosque-on-the-prairies-arlene-duncan-talks-about-the-series-wrap-up/
“Set in 1963, Caroline Thibodeaux is a maid to
a Southern Jewish family who does what she must to provide for
children while struggling to keep her sense of self, while the son of
her employer struggles to make sense of the world around him. It
has been quite a while since I’d been ‘on the boards’ performing
live on stage night after night”.[ Arlene Duncan on Abbas Karimjee’s Weblog, April 2012]
Viewers of Little Mosque on the Prairie should be excited to discover that the fifth season of the sitcom is now available for purchase through CBC’S Online Shop for a current sale price of $25:99[CA]
The fifth season of Little Mosque on the Prairie, which initially aired from January 2011- March 2011 featured Amaar [Zaib Shaikh]and Rayyan’s [Sitara Hewitt]relationship as an engaged couple and the challenges involved in the two’s relationship which was observed in accordance to the Islamic faith,leading up to the much anticipated wedding. Meanwhile Reverend William Thorne[ Brandon Firla] attempts to reform and build positive relationships in the community in various ways, including one of a romantic nature with the town’s librarian, Rose. The season also brought forth special guest appearances by cast members from earlier seasons including Derek McGrath[ Reverend Duncan Magee] , Carlo Rota[ Yasir Hammoudi] and Aliza Vellani[ Layla Siddiqui].
The 2 disc DVD set features all 14 episodes as well as a bonus blooper. Additional features have been listed below, as seen on CBC’S Online Shop.Shipping is typically expected within 3-4 days, however may vary somewhat depending on factors such as location .
- Closed Captioned
- 16:9 Widescreen
- 5.1 Dolby Digital
- Region 0
Will you be purchasing the fifth season of the show? Should you be watching for the first time, which particular story element are you the most excited to see unfold? Share your response in the comments section, below.
Indeed, those from the USA who have expressed a strong desire to see Little Mosque have finally had heard their voices heard! The hit CBC sitcom will air as a summer series on Hulu .com and Huluplus.com.
Little Mosque will air with its series premiere on June 28. A new episode will be released each following week until Thursday , August 23, at which point the entire series will be available for viewing.
Further information on Little Mosque’s debut on Hulu as well as the other summer series which the site will be offering can be found @http://www.hulu.com/watch/362933/hulu-summer-series-little-mosque.
Will you be watching the show through Hulu? What is your reaction to having the chance to watch Little Mosque this summer? Share your response in the comments section.
With Little Mosque on the Prairie having drawn to a close this past week, media coverage was quite prominent for the groundbreaking Canadian series. Among the features done for the show, was one by reporter Zulekha Nathoo from the CBC. Nathoo’s recent report on the show which examined the national impact and international impact which Little Mosque had on Muslim perception from the perspective of viewers, researchers, cast members and crew members was featured on CBC’s,The National on Sunday, April 1@ 9:00pm eastern time.
To see the feature on the series which includes myself discussing my perspective on the show visit @http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/TV_Shows/The_National/1233408557/ID=2218190950
.Afterwards, share your thoughts on the segment in the comments section!